- Google PageSpeed Insights
- Which loads faster?
Note: I recommend you to make a backup of your website before changing any section in case of unexpected errors.
Tips to speed-up, optimize Joomla 3.x page load time
1. Use necessary extensionsBe aware of choosing extensions. Clear all unnecessary extensions which slow down your site speed. With used extensions, updating regularly for the latest versions is very effective for website loading speed because the new versions have better improvement than the previous ones.
By using Cache, the sever does not need to fetch all the information requested from its database (content, plugins, modules, template files...) again and again everytime one of your pages is loaded.
2. Let Joomla Caching
Remember to use this tip when your site is ready to go live.
Turn on Joomla Caching:
3. Turn on Gzip CompressionAn amazing Joomla function is Gzip compression. It allows your pages (include css and html) are compressed in a zip file. This package is sent to your computer and uncompressed by the browser (all browsers supported, except old IE versions). It sounds complicated but will make your website load faster.
Turn on Gzip Compression:
4. Optimize images sizeThis tip is very simple and easy to carry out. When adding images to your web pages,you should take in mind:
- Do not use large img. The bigger image is, the more time it takes to load.
- Optimize your photos. Use tools such as Photoshop or Fireworks to reduce images' size without changing the quality much.
- Do no place too many images to a single page. Loading image is slower than loading text. So, be carefully.
How to solve this issue?
- Compress JS and CMS files.
- Use one large CMS file and one large JS file (by merging multiple files into one)
- Use *defer* or *async* attribute in the script.
6. Use optimized templatesThere are a huge number of Joomla templates that can help to speed-up load time effectively. In the desire of serving the best products to the customers, SmartAddons's Joomla templates are incessantly improved. SmartAddons provide a wide range of Joomla template which support compressing CSS/JS and merging files (mentioned in tip no 5).
Look at our Customer Site Showcase to determine how our template can do. And Join our club to get the best offers!
7. Care about mobile optimizationGo along with portable tendency, web design for mobile devices has become essential requirement. If your website loads fast on PC, it should perform well on mobile devices too. With responsive Joomla templates, the problem is solved quickly.
8. Choose good webhostLast but not least, good webhost can improve significantly your webpage load time.Free webhosts may screw up all your efforts. Checking the reviews, forum before making the decision.
After finishing all these tips, check your website speed again. You can feel "dizzy" from your webpage load speed.